Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Meet Sutton: Baby Sister is HERE!!!

Sutton Jane Barksdale was born at 7:33 am on Friday, July 1st!!! She weighed 5lbs, 7oz and was 19 inches long and is perfect in every way! We learned last Tuesday that she would be joining the world earlier than expected and so we scrambled to tie up loose ends and get little things done in preparation for her arrival. Betsy Grace was set to spend split time at her grandparents, as Mac was staying with me in the hospital...the dogs were taken care of...Sutton's room was finished...all the laundry was done...you name it, I had it checked off the list! BUT, as soon as Sutton took her first breath, all of my planning and preparation went out the window because we weren't really prepared to have to send our new baby girl to the NICU (Newborn Intensive Care Unit). We knew she was small, which was why they were delivering her at 37 weeks but so was Betsy Grace and she was fine after birth. I was very calm after Sutton was delivered and so were all of the doctors. Mac and I both commented that we didn't hear her cry but I couldn't see anything because I had that huge sheet in front of my face. Finally we heard the beautiful sound and Mac went to see her, only to learn that she had the cord wrapped around her neck twice and she was breathing fast. The plan was to take her to the NICU, check her out and then she would probably go to the regular nursery. The docs had it under control and so we were fine. I got to see her quickly, as the took her off oxygen for a sec to bring her over and then she was whisked away. I went to recovery and it was there that we learned that she had RDS(Respiratory Distress Syndrome) and she would be staying in the NICU. RDS is very common in babies that are born early and although it is scary to parents because of the labored breathing and all the machines, they NICU sees it all the time. So, all of the sudden we were in unknown territory, on a different floor, with a different plan, filled with so much joy and so much worry at the same time but we knew weren't alone. God was right there with us and we had to trust in HIM...his truth and his plan was our guide and he was going to get us through.

I got to see Sutton after recovery, on the way to my room but I was still on the stretcher and was pretty sick post op, so that was not our best visit :) You can't walk for 12 hours after a C Section, so my next visit with her wasn't until the next morning. This is the first time I got to hold her and even though it was complicated with all the wires and machines and I only got to have her for 2 minutes, it felt like heaven! Mac stayed in the hospital room with me but it was kind of sad without a baby. Not to mention the fact that I desperately missed Betsy Grace, I now had two children and couldn't be with either of them. NICU mamas stay on a different floor, so that they can be closer to their babies but it was weird to not be a part of the hustle and bustle of the maternity floor. Plus, Sutton was really struggling to breathe and so the more time she was left untouched to rest and breathe the better, meaning not many visits from mommy and daddy :(


Because Sutton was in the NICU, we originally decided that BG would not come to the hospital but by Sunday, I just couldn't stand it...I had to see her, so Mac brought her to visit me :) She loved the hospital room and I loved loving on her!!!!



Then on top of the RDS, Sutton became jaundiced, so she underwent phototherapy for a couple of days. This meant more restricted time with her because she needed continuous light coverage. This is my dad chatting it up with her while she got her rays:)


Then they did a couple of trial runs off of her CPAP machine and this was our first "skin to skin" time....so pure and wonderful.

Had to share the view from our room, we were there over the 4th and it was perfect for watching fireworks!


Getting some daddy time but still on the CPAP, she was breathing room air but she needed the CPAP for keeping her lungs fully inflated.

A couple of pics of big sis while we were away, she had a big time with grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins and then some!


Then after 4 days of CPAP and Jaundice drama, I went to see her on Tuesday morning and she was off the CPAP and was so peaceful. I couldn't believe it how she had turned the corner in such a short time but the docs had said that she was right on the cusp and it could happen any time. Pardon the pic of me, it was early in the morning, but I was soooo excited and we had to capture the moment. It was also just the second time we could really get a good look at her. All of those machines and masks made it hard to tell what she looked like!

Her nurse, Trish, and I made this sign...our very first art project!

Then, on Tuesday, I was discharged and Sutton had to stay. It was sooooo hard to leave her, even though I was ready to go home and see my first baby. You never imagine the car ride home from the hospital with out your child :( But, in no less than 5 hours, Mac and I were back by her side!
Changing her diaper

Feeding her

Staring at her
(poor little thing has scabs on her face from the tape that kept the machines in place)

and giving her LOTS of kisses!

She has continued to do awesome and if she stays the course, we can bring her home on Friday. We know that things can change in an instant but we are soooo thankful for her good health at this point. She is a sweet and content little love bug and we can't wait to share her. Thanks for the love, support and prayers...it has meant so much to us!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hey Libby! Congratulations! Sutton is absolutely gorgeous!! I feel your pain having a kiddo in the nicu and having to leave the hospital without her but it sounds like she will get to come home soon...and those nicu nurses and doctors are a special breed and she is in great hands!

    ReplyDelete